Suspected Bondi Gunmen Operated Independently and Did Not Instruction in the Southeast Asian Nation, Police State.
The two alleged attackers responsible for the deadly shooting at a Hanukkah celebration on Bondi Beach, which claimed 15 lives, are believed to have been lone actors, as stated by Australian authorities.
Investigators also confirmed that the 50-year-old Sajid Akram, and his son Naveed Akram flew to the Philippines on 1 November. Their itinerary involved landing in the capital Manila before connecting on the day of arrival to Davao City. The pair returned to Sydney on 29 November.
Lack of Proof of Preparation During Trip
Police have stated the pair did not partake in any type of attack-related instruction or "logistical preparation" during their time in the Philippines. Initial findings from local officials indicate they "rarely left" their hotel.
The shooting—described as Australia's worst mass shooting since 1996—has been formally classified as a terrorist incident.
"We are actively reviewing the footage," she stated, adding that initial assessments show that "these individuals are believed to have been lone actors."
Australian Federal Police Commissioner Krissy Barrett briefed media on Tuesday that surveillance material tracking the accused attackers' whereabouts in the Philippines had been submitted to domestic authorities.
"There is little to no indication to indicate these alleged offenders were members of a larger organization, or were directed by others to execute an incident," the police chief said.
But, the pair were additionally not necessarily in the Philippines on a leisure trip, the official added. She emphasized that, as the inquiry is ongoing, new evidence may emerge.
Ideology and Legal Charges
Previously, the nation's Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said it looks as though both alleged attackers were "motivated by ISIS" beliefs.
During the shooting, Sajid Akram was shot dead by responding officers. He and his son Naveed—equipped with rifles—are accused of having shot attendees at the Hanukkah celebration.
Naveed Akram, who was hospitalised after the attack, has been charged with 59 crimes. These encompass 15 charges of murder and one count of perpetrating a act of terrorism. He is scheduled to appear in court in April.
Travel Details
In the wake following the shooting, immigration officials in the Philippines reported that the older suspect had arrived in the country using an Indian passport, while his son used an Australian passport.
The pair had stated the southern city of Davao as their final destination. Their pre-arranged return flight to Australia was for Sydney.
Davao is a sprawling metropolis on the east of Mindanao, the Philippines' largest southern island. Historically, Islamist fighters have been known to operate in poorer parts of central and south-western Mindanao.